KEN HENSLEY - LADY IN BLACK

, , Sem Comentários
LADY IN BLACK
KEN HENSLEY
SONGWRITER: KEN HENSLEY
COUNTRY: U.K.
ALBUM: THE WIZARDS DIARY
LABEL: NIPPON CROWN
GENRE: HARD ROCK
YEAR: 2005

Kenneth William David Hensley (born 24 August 1945) is an English singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and producer, best known for his work with Uriah Heep during the 1970s.
He wrote or co-wrote the majority of Uriah Heep's songs during this period, including the hit singles "Lady in Black" (on which he sang lead vocals), "Easy Livin'" and "Stealin'", as well as "Look at Yourself", on which he also sang lead vocals, and "Free Me".
"Lady in Black" is a song by the rock band Uriah Heep. It is the fourth track of their 1971 album Salisbury.
The song is credited to Ken Hensley. It tells the story of a man wandering through war-torn darkness and encountering a goddess-like entity who consoles him. It is often praised, by fans and critics alike, as Hensley's most poetic work to date. There were many b-sides for this song as a single. The most famous was "Simon the Bullit Freak" but "Bird of Prey" has also been the b-side for the song. In 1981 the band released a single in Germany and in Netherlands and the b-side was "Easy Livin'". The song was written in the key of A Minor.
A brief comment on the cover of the original vinyl release commented that for Ken Hensley inspiration was a real case: a surprise visit to his daughter's rural vicar at a moment when he was in very depressed state. The result of this meeting, and - some kind of insight - was the song "Lady in Black": a philosophical parable that tells us that evil cannot be overcome by evil itself.
She came to me one morning
One lonely sunday morning
Her long hair flowing
In the midwinter wind
I know not how she found me
For in darkness I was walking
And destruction lay around me
From a fight I could not win
Ah ah ah ...

She asked me name my foe then
I said the need within some men
To fight and kill their brothers
Without thought of love or god
And I begged her give me horses
To trample down my enemies
So eager was my passion
To devour this waste of life
Ah ah ah...

But she wouldn’t think of battle that
Reduces men to animals
So easy to begin
And yet impossible to end
For she’s the mother of our men
Who counseled me so wisely then
I feared to walk alone again
And asked if she would stay
Ah ah ah...

Oh lady lend your hand outright
And let me rest here at your side
Have faith and trust
In peace she said
And filled my heart with life
There is no strength in numbers
Have no such misconception
But when you need me
Be assured I won’t be far away
Ah ah ah...

Thus having spoke she turned away
And though I found no words to say
I stood and watched until I saw
Her black coat disappear
My labor is no easier
But now I know I’m not alone
I find new heart each time
I think upon that windy day
And if one day she comes to you
Drink deeply from her words so wise
Take courage from her
As your prize
And say hello from me
Ah ah ah...

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário