DIRE STRAITS - WATER OF LOVE

, , Sem Comentários
WATER OF LOVE
DIRE STRAITS
SONGWRITER: MARK KNOPFLER
COUNTRY: U. K.
ALBUM: DIRE STRAITS
LABEL: VERTIGO RECORDS
GENRE: SOFT ROCK
YEAR: 1978

Dire Straits é o álbum de estreia da extinta banda de rock inglesa Dire Straits, lançado em 1978. As suas principais músicas compostas por Mark knopfler e John Illsley de sucesso são "Down to the Waterline", "Water of Love" e "Sultans of Swing".
"Water of Love" is a song written by Mark Knopfler and originally released on Dire Straits' self-titled debut album. It was also released as a single in some countries, backed by "Down to the Waterline," as a follow-up to the band's first single from the album, "Sultans of Swing." The single reached #28 on the Dutch charts. It also reached #54 in Australia. The song was also included on Dire Straits live álbum Live at the BBC and on the multi-artist compilation album More Than Unplugged.
Both "Water of Love" and "Down to the Waterline," as well as "Sultans of Swing," were among the five songs included on Dire Straits' demo tape that the band sent to Charlie Gillett, who played the tape on his radio show leading to the band's first recording contract. It is one of four songs on side 1 of the Dire Straits album which deals with unhappy relationships, and author Michael Oldfield believes that the song is basically about the break-up of Mark Knopfler's marriage. Writing in Rolling Stone Magazine, Ken Tucker used the song as an example of Knopfler's penchant for mixing clever lines with prosaic ones. Tucker gives as an example the clever line "I need a little water of love" followed by "You know it's evil when you're living alone," which Tucker considers a silly line. Writing in Billboard Magazine, Cary Darling praised the song's lyrics but criticizes the easy listening arrangement which "fails to grab the listener". The Rolling Stone Album Guide commented on the "stark, romantic vision" of this song and its B-side, "Down to the Waterline", and how that vision contrasted with the bitterness of Dire Straits' songs such as "Sultans of Swing."
High and dry in the long hot day
Lost and lonely every way
Got the flats all around me sky up above
Yes, I need a little water of love

I've been too long lonely and my heart feels pain
Crying out for some soothing rain
I believe I have taken enough
Yes, I need a little water of love

Water of love deep in the ground
No water here to be found
Some day baby when the river runs free
It'll carry that water of love to me

There's a bird up in tree sitting up high
Waiting for me to die
If I don't get some water soon
I'll be dead and gone in the afternoon

Once I had a woman I could call my own
Once I had a woman now woman is gone
Once there was a river now there's a stone

You know it's evil when you're living alone

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário