HALL & OATES - I CAN'T GO FOR THAT

, , Sem Comentários
I CAN'T GO FOR THAT (NO CAN DO)
HALL & OATES
SONGWRITERS: DARYL HALL; JOHN OATES & SARA ALLEN.
HOW: LIVE
COUNTRY: U. S. A.
ALBUM: PRIVATE EYES
LABEL: RCA RECORDS
GENRE: SOFT ROCK
YEAR: 1981

Daryl Hall & John Oates, commonly referred to as Hall & Oates, are an American pop rock duo formed in 1970 in Philadelphia. Daryl Hall is generally the lead vocalist; John Oates primarily plays electric guitar and provides backing vocals. The two write most of the songs they perform, separately or in collaboration. They achieved their greatest fame from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s with a fusion of rock and roll and rhythm and blues.
Hall and Oates have sold an estimated 40 million records. They are best known for their six Nº. 1 hits on theBillboard Hot 100: "Rich Girl", "Kiss on My List", "Private Eyes", "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)", "Maneater", and "Out of Touch", as well as many other songs which charted in the Top 40 including the singles "You Make My Dreams", "She's Gone", "Say It Isn't So" and "Sara Smile". In total, they had 34 chart hits on the US Billboard Hot 100, seven RIAA platinum albums, and six RIAA gold albums. Billboard magazine named them the most successful duo of the rock era, surpassing Simon & Garfunkel and The Everly Brothers. They have achieved moderate success in the United Kingdom with two UK top ten albums, spending a total of 117 weeks in the UK top 75 album charts and 84 weeks in the top 75 of the UK Singles Chart.
In 2003, Hall and Oates were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Billboard magazine had Hall and Oates at No. 15 on their list of the 100 greatest artists of all time and the Nº. 1 duo, while VH1 placed the duo as Nº. 99 on their list of the 100 greatest artists of all time. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April 2014. On September 2, 2016, they received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
On October 16, 2013, Hall and Oates were announced as 2014 nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They were announced as inductees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2014 on December 16, 2013.
Hall started his monthly web series Live From Daryl's House in 2007 after having the idea of "playing with my friends and putting it up on the Internet". The series features him jamming with various guest musicians in his house in the woods. Guest artists on the show have run the gamut of musical styles and influences, and have included Smokey Robinson, Robby Krieger from The Doors, Rumer, Nick Lowe, Cee-lo Green, K.T. Tunstall, Todd Rundgren, Darius Rucker, and Chromeo. In 2010, Live From Daryl's House won a Webby Award in the Variety category.
In May 2014, Hall's home renovation program, Daryl's Restoration Over-Hall, premiered on the DIY Network. On July 15, 2014, Hall and Oates performed in Ireland as a duo for the very first time (they each performed independently as solo acts before) at the Olympia Theatre, Dublin. The event was recorded, packaged as a 2 CD/DVD set and released as 'Live In Dublin' in Germany March 27, 2015 and in the US on March 30, 2015. Hall and Oates indicated that the recorded concert was also being released in movie theaters nationwide for one day only.
The duo made a cameo in the 2015 Happy Madison film Pixels. On September 2, 2016, Hall and Oates received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for their work in the music industry, located at 6752 Hollywood Boulevard.
In March 2017, it was announced that they would be touring the US from May until the end of July 2017. The 29 date arena tour was with co-headliner Tears for Fears. Hall & Oates headlined the BluesFest 2017 at the London O2 arena on 28 October 2017 supported by Chris Isaak. They played a Dublin concert the following night.
"I Can't Go for That(No Can Do)" is a song by the American duo Daryl Hall and John Oates. Written by Daryl Hall and John Oates, and co-written by Sara Allen, the song was released as the second single from their tenth studio album, Private Eyes (1981). The song became the fourth number one hit single of their career on the Billboard Hot 100. It features Charles DeChant on saxophone.
"I Can't Go for That(No Can Do)" is one of fourteen Hall & Oates songs that have been played on the radio over one million times, according to BMI.
The single debuted at number 59 on the Hot 100 the week of November 14, 1981 as the highest debut of the week and after eleven weeks, on January 30, 1982, it reached the top of the chart, staying there for a week. "I Can't Go for That" ended a 10-week run at the top of the Hot 100 by Olivia Newton-John's song, "Physical" (which had knocked out Hall & Oates' "Private Eyes" from the top spot). The song also went to number one on the Hot Dance Club Play chart for one week in January 1982.
Thanks to heavy airplay on urban contemporary radio stations, "I Can't Go for That" also topped the US R&B chart, a rare feat for a white act. It was the only record to hit number one on both the Hot 100 and R&B/Hip-Hop Songs charts during all of 1982. The single was certified Gold by the RIAA for shipments of one million units on January 7, 1982. According to the Hall & Oates biography, Hall, upon learning that "I Can't Go for That" had gone to number one on the R&B chart, wrote in his diary, "I'm the head soul brother in the U.S. Where to now?"
It also peaked at number one on the Radio & Records CHR/Pop Airplay chart on December 18, 1981, staying at the top of the chart for six weeks and remaining on it for fifteen weeks, making it their biggest hit on the R&R airplay chart. This single was also the first top 10 hit for the duo in the UK, peaking at number eight in the UK Singles Chart. It was certified Silver by the BPI on March 1, 1982 for shipments of 200,000 units. 
Easy, ready, willing, overtime
Where does it stop
Where do you dare me
To draw the line
You've got the body
Now you want my soul
Don't even think about it
Say no go
I-- I'll do anything
That you want me to do
And I'll do almost anything
That you want me too, ooh

But I can't go for that (no can do)
No, I can't go for that (no can do)
Oh, I can't go for that (no can do)

I can't go for that
Can't go for that
Can't go for that

I can go for being twice as nice
I can go for just repeating
The same old lines
Use the body
Now you want my soul
Ooh, forget about it
Now say no go

I-- I'll do anything
That you want me to do
And I'll do almost anything
That you want me to do

But I can't go for that (no can do)
No, I can't go for that (no can do)
Oh, I can't go for that (no can do)

I can't go for that
Can't go for that
Can't go for that
Oh, I-- I'll do anything
That you want me to do
And I'll do almost anything
That you want me to do

But I can't go for that (no can do)
No, I can't go for that (no can do)
Oh, I can't go for that (no can do)

I can't go for that
Can't go for that
Can't go for that
Can't go for that
I can't go for that

Can't go for that (no can do)
I can't go
I can't go
For that, (no can do)
Oh, I can't go for that, (no can do)
Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no
No, no, no, no, no can do
Oh, I can't go for that, yeah, (no can do)
No, no, no, no, no, no.

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário