PETER, PAUL & MARY - EARLY MORNING RAIN

, , Sem Comentários

EARLY MORNIN’ RAIN

PETER, PAUL & MARY
SONGWRITER: Gordon Lightfoot
COUNTRY: U. S. A.
ALBUM: GOLDEN STAR PORTRAIT
LABEL: WARNER RECORDS
GENRE: FOLK
YEAR: 1975
 
        Peter, Paul and Mary was an American folk group formed in New York City in 1961, during the American folk music revival phenomenon. The trio was composed of tenor Peter Yarrow, baritone Noel Paul Stookey and contralto Mary Travers. The group's repertoire included songs written by Yarrow and Stookey, early songs by Bob Dylan as well as covers of other folk musicians. After the death of Travers in 2009, Yarrow and Stookey continued to perform as a duo under their individual names.
           Mary Travers said she was influenced by Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, and the Weavers. In the documentary Peter, Paul & Mary: Carry It On — A Musical Legacy, members of the Weavers discuss how Peter, Paul and Mary took over the torch of the social commentary of folk music in the 1960s.
         The group was inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 1999. Peter, Paul and Mary received the Sammy Cahn Lifetime Achievement Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2006.

In the early mornin' rain with a dollar in my hand
And an aching in my heart, and my pockets full of sand
I'm a long way from home, and I miss my loved one so
In the early mornin' rain with no place to go.
 
Out on runway number nine, big seven-o-seven set to go
But I'm out here on the grass where the pavement never grows
Well the liquor tasted good and the women all were fast
There she goes my friend, she's rollin' down at last.
 
Hear the mighty engine roar, see the silver wing on high
She's away and westward bound far above the clouds she'll fly
Where the mornin' rain don't fall and the sun always shines
She'll be flyin' o're my home in about three hours time.
 
This old airport's got me down, it's no earthly good to me
Cause I'm stuck here on the ground,
Cold and drunk, as I might be.
Can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train
So I'd best be on my way in the early mornin' rain.
So I'd best be on my way in the early mornin' rain.

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário