ROBERTA FLAKE - THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE

, , Sem Comentários

THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE

ROBERTA FLAKE
SONGWRITER: EWAN MACCOLL
COUNTRY: U. S. A.
ALBUM: FIRST TAKE
LABEL: ATLANTIC RECORDS
GENRE: SOUL
YEAR: 1969
 
          Roberta Cleopatra Flack(born February 10, 1937) is an American singer. She is known for her Nº 1 singles "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", "Killing Me Softly with His Song", "Feel Like Makin' Love"; and "Where Is the Love" and "The Closer I Get to You", two of her many duets with Donny Hathaway. Flack is also noted for her influence on the subgenre of contemporary R&B called quiet storm, along with her interpretations of songs by various songwriters, such as Leonard Cohen and members of The Beatles.
             Flack was the first artist to win the Grammy Award for Record of the Year in two consecutive years: "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" won in 1973 and "Killing Me Softly with His Song" won in 1974. Only U2 and Billie Eilish have repeated this feat.
          "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is a 1957 folk song written by British political singer/songwriter Ewan MacColl for Peggy Seeger, who later became his wife. At the time, the couple were lovers, although MacColl was still married to his second wife, Jean Newlove. Seeger sang the song when the duo performed in folk clubs around Britain. During the 1960s, it was recorded by various folk singers and became a major international hit for Roberta Flack in 1972, winning Grammy Awards for Record of the Year and Song of the Year. Billboard ranked it as the number one Hot 100 single of the year for 1972
The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and the stars were the gifts you gave
To the dark and the endless skies, my love
To the dark and the endless skies
 
And the first time ever I kissed your mouth
I felt the earth move in my hand
Like the trembling heart of a captive bird
That was there at my command, my love
That was there at my command, my love
 
And the first time ever I lay with you
I felt your heart so close to mine
And I knew our joy would fill the earth
And last 'til the end of time my love
And it would last 'til the end of time
 
The first time ever I saw your face
Your face, your face, your face.

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário