NAT KING COLE & RAY CONNIFF – SMOKE GET IN YOUR EYES

, , Sem Comentários

SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES

NAT KING COLE & RAY CONNIFF
SONGWRITERS: Jerome Kern & Otto Harbach
COUNTRY: U. S. A.
ALBUM: THE NAT KING COLE SHOW
LABEL: KING COLE PARTNERS, LLC
GENRE: JAZZ
YEAR: 1957
 
          Nathaniel Adams Coles(March 17, 1919–February 15, 1965), known professionally as Nat King Cole, was an American singer, jazz pianist, songwriter, and actor. He recorded over 100 songs that became hits on the pop charts. His trio was the model for small jazz ensembles that followed. Cole also acted in films and on television and performed on Broadway. He was the first African-American man to host an American television series. He was the father of singer Natalie Cole.
          "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" is a show tune written by American composer Jerome Kern and lyricist Otto Harbach for the 1933 musical Roberta. The song was sung in the Broadway show by Tamara Drasin. Its first recorded performance was by Gertrude Niesen, who recorded the song with orchestral direction from Ray Sinatra, Frank Sinatra's second cousin, on October 13, 1933. Niesen's recording of the song was released by Victor, with the B-side, "Jealousy", featuring Isham Jones and his Orchestra.
        Paul Whiteman had the first hit recording of the song on the record charts in 1934.
          On October 30, 1946, Nat "King" Cole recorded the song in his trio with Oscar Moore on guitar and Johnny Miller on double bass, during a live broadcast from New York City. Cole performed it on television in 1957 for The Nat King Cole Show.
They ask me how I knew
My true love was true
Ohh, I of course replied
Something dear inside
Cannot be denied
 
They said some day you'll find
All who love are blind
Ohh, when your heart's on fire
You must realize
Smoke gets in your eyes
 
So I chaffed them
And I gaily laughed
To think they could doubt my love
 
Yet today
My love has flown away
I am without my love
 
Now laughing friends deride
Tears I cannot hide
Ohh, so I smile and say
When a lovely flame dies
Smoke gets in your eyes
Smoke gets in your eyes.

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário